The local currency is the Mauritian Roupie (Rs), which divides into 100 cents.
1 euro approximately equals to 40 roupies. There are coins of 1, 5, 10, and 20 roupies, and 5, 20, and 50 cents. Bills comes in 25, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1.000, and 2.000 roupies.
Means of payment
- No restriction is applied on currency imports for bank drafts, letters of credit, or traveller’s checks.
- Credit cards are accepted in banks and most of the hotels, restaurants, and souvenir shops.
- The following cards can be negotiable in Mauritius: American Express, Diners, MasterCard, and Visa.
- Traveller’s checks and bank notes can be changed upon arrival and departure of international flights at the airport. The exchange can also be done in the main hotels.
- ATMs are available in all the major cities. Banks are open from 09:00am until 03:00pm Monday to Thursday, and from 09:00am until 05:00pm on Friday.
- Service is always included in the price. Tipping is left for the customer to decide.
A value-added tax of 15% tops all the invoices linked to the purchase of goods and services, including hotels and restaurants bills.